Thursday, December 4, 2008

Leo the Little Lion and his fan club



Leo, the big boned, large framed, 7 lb cat has had a hard life. Someone put him outside after declawing him, where he begged for food and probably warm laps too. At some point, Leo got sick, developed diabetes and was turned in to a kill shelter. He was a very sick boy. He'd lost probably half of his body weight or more from the ravages of this illness. Diabetes is no easy thing for a cat, and especially not for an outdoor, un-homed cat. Once in the shelter, Leo faced certain death, were it not for a lady who contacted one of FDMB's board members, Ken (and Sneakers). Ken was so keen to get Leo off death row that he actually was seriously considering giving up one of his own precious babies to save Leo. Thinking that his baby girl kitten, Tabitha, could be adopted easily, he was willing to lose her to save Leo. He posted on the FDMB.. could anyone save this sweet boy? Kind people who could not take him in had pledged money to the adopter for medical costs. Every member who saw the post had their heart broken with worry. All members have full or overfull homes.

Jennifer (tuckersmom), another member of FDMB, was thinking of how to take him into her already overcrowded home of specially abled kitties. I saw the post, after having missed the first post, and responded immediately. I knew the cat was meant to be mine. Sometimes you just know those things. Jennifer and I talked in PM, and I told her I wasn't sure if I could get Leo past Ronnie, who has many allergies, chief among them - cats. I sent an email to my good friend Jenn (and Sabrina). "Please help me, I'm about to adopt that cat on Community." When stuff happens so fast, you start to feel impulsive and reckless. The last thing you want to do is take a cat in a bad situation and somehow make it worse. Jenn sent an email back. I can't remember her exact wording, but basically she told me I was too far gone to stop. She was right of course.

At lunch, I called Ronnie, and the planets shifted and my wonderful man said "Yes". I was ecstatic, I couldn't believe I was so hooked on this cat already. Then the love really started. I was contacted by a money donor. She really wanted to help the cat, but she already had too many. Another money donor. And another. Syringe donors, meter donors, and people just sending good wishes. The board really comes together for these babies. God bless every one of you. I happened to have room in my home for Leo, and am glad I could help him, but I could not do it without your support, and cheering me on.

People clamored for updates, wanted pictures, wanted to know how he was. Ken picked Leo up for the week before bringing him to me and did his best to stabilize our young lion. He fed and fed (and fed!) the cat with no bottom. He monitored him, worried about him, fussed over him, and most importantly let Leo know he was loved. He provided updates for all of us, took pictures, and kept us all up to date on his day to day life with poignant stories of Leo greeting him at the door, or laying with his head in Ken's lap.

I could not imagine a more loving group of people than the FDMB, and that makes YOU the best Fan Club ever. For you guys, who cheer like proud parents over every single out of focus picture I upload, thank you. I will try to do you justice.

Here's Leo, a mere 3 weeks after that shelter picture was taken, after stealing my seat to bathe himself.

2 comments:

Donna said...

from first photo to last photo, what a transformation. He has found his loving, forever home. I know he's in good hands.

~Maximillian's Person, Donna

chriscleo said...

leo's a very lucky cat. (((HUGS)))

 
template by suckmylolly.com