Friday, December 12, 2008

The Goose is Getting Fat



Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Please to put a penny in the old man's hat,
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do,
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God Bless You!




One of my earliest memorized songs from Christmas, don't even remember where I learned that one. My co-mingling memories of childhood Christmas' center around recorder versions of Jingle Bells, Frosty melting and the Muppets arguing their way through the holidays. Ever eaten goose? Me either. I'm cool with that.

The other day, Roxanne's foster mom, Connie, put up a post about her Christmas tree. Last year I didn't even put a tree up, Oscar and Spot were sick and I just didn't have the energy with all the pee-mopping and floor scrubbing to put together a tree. This year I'd *like* to put a tree up but UGH. Everything is in the outside closet, with everything else stacked on top of it. I have literally hundreds of carefully collected ornaments, each special, each hand-chosen. Lots of sparkly, bright, beautiful reminders of the years Jesica and I shopped for them. If I had not bought the tree that already had lights on it, it would take me two days to fully dress my tree. Now it only takes one day.. only.

Then, Connie posted her fabulous idea - cat toys! At first I was like.. yeah, right. Then I saw the tree.

Isn't that the coolest? It looks pretty, AND it's cat-proof! And who doesn't have 30,435,017 cat toys covering every flat surface in their home? Note the "Christmas decor box" that stores all the toys perched on the chair. What a wonderfully warm holiday scene, with the cats celebrating Christmas by helping to (un)decorate the tree. Great family Connie, and great tree!

I'll keep y'all up to date if I decide to go this route. I ran it past Ronnie. He just blinked.. Y'all know he's a blinker, right?

2 comments:

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

I grew up on that song too. that and "what would you do with a drunking sailer?" Mom's from England.. so we got a lot of weird stuff for traditions :)

Thanks for the shout out. the tree doesn't much look like that any more.. the kitten got to the lower branches.. but that's ok, that is what the spirit of Christmas is all about.. having fun with family.. so what if my family is furry and four legged.. they love me more than my two legged family does - or at least they are more willing to express it. either that or their hungry.. but I'm going to go with love.. :)

Merry Christmas!

chriscleo said...

My tree has mostly animal decorations, with a few crystal and glass ones intermingled. i always stick cat toys on the tree, too.
The kitties are VERY interested in the decorations anyway, so i use a long busted telephone cord (those clear ones) to anchor the tree to the wall so they don't knock it down. i wrap the middle of the cord around the tree a few times, then anchor each end of the cord to the wall via a small brass hook behind the curtain panel on each side of the window.
That way nobody sees that the tree is connected to the wall, but it is kitty and earthquake proof, and i've recycled a busted phone cord.

 
template by suckmylolly.com