Saturday, November 22, 2008

What Sorts of Things Do Crazy Cat Ladies Do?


Here it is August of 2007 and six months after Spot has kicked his insulin habit. I've returned to my regularly scheduled programming of poker tournaments and other forms of denial, but the crazy cat lady in me cannot be disguised. FDMB is still a daily part of my life; in my desperation to pay it forward, I have literally read every post, every day on the site. I try to help as much as I can - I am so eager to pay down the debt I owe to this miracle group who've saved my cat's life. My friends have no idea what I am talking about most of the time and just kind of look at me - come to think of it, much like one looks at a person they've just identified as a crazy cat lady.

One cat has come to my attention on the board, a young man named Oscar. How can you not notice a cat named Oscar? Oscar was a very troublesome kitty, using an insulin I was familiar with, eating foods we knew to be good, but having much failure with getting better. I tried to help, I tried to ignore what I felt was going to come down to a PTS moment as he was seemingly getting sicker. His Dad tried and tried, but Oscar had some issues with digestion which resulted in what we like to call Colon Blow. Note: By "we", I mean "me", since most people I know refuse to discuss poo issues.

So the day comes, that the post goes up again requesting someone adopt Oscar. I know I must act, or he could be PTS. The baby was allergic and had serious reactions and the Colon Blow situation was getting out of hand.

I talked to Ronnie at length about it and subsequently we decided I should go get this cat. (Again, by "we", I mean "me" since Ronnie does not discuss anything at length.) Here is a transcript of our conversation:

Carolyn: Baby? Baby. Hey Baby. Um so I was on the Feline diabetes board and um you know there's a really sick cat in Northern Virginia and I think the owner might PTS if he doesn't get some help really fast and so I was thinking if I go up there and get the cat and I can work on him and get him better, you know, foster him until I can find him a home and then he won't have to be put to sleep and I know I can make him better because I cured Spot - remember that? - and I know he just needs some new insulin or something and I know his owner is really sad and getting some pressure, and his baby is allergic but he really loves this cat and I don't want to make him put the cat to sleep and I think since I'm the one that responded, I should go get him, like that Proverb where if you save a man's life you're responsible for them for the rest of their life - ok maybe not exactly like that, but you see the correlation, right? Anyway I think I really gotta do this, I would feel terrible if I logged on and saw his GA announcement and I would throw up because I know I can help this cat, knowwhatimean? He really wouldn't be any trouble and we could keep him in Jesica's room, and I mean really now, how hard is it to test and shoot a cat, after learning with Spot, I know I can make this cat better and get him a good home and he's really cute and how can you not love a cat with the name Oscar?!

Baby: *blink*

Carolyn: Oh MY GOD!#!!@@#! Does that mean YES?!!!!! THANK YOU BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love you love you love you!!!!! You are the best man ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then there were three.

Next post: During the trip to get Oscar, Spot becomes paralyzed.

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com